Monday, January 19, 2009

Thoughts on "The" Inauguration

Okay. It's the day before "THE" inauguration, so I guess I should make some sort of comment. I know, I know...it's SO historic...maybe it's just hysterical. Obama was not our choice for this job, but since he is our president, we wish heartily for his success. After all, his success is the success of all. Having said that, I do want you to know that I think his children are beautiful; and I think that Obama and Michelle are good parents. I can't think of a better role model for the many, many black boys that eschew education, polite society, and decent dress. Obama embodies the very essence of hard work. He has set goals and gone about achieving them rather than just waiting for life to unfold for him, the antithesis of the actions of many young men, both black and white, who believe that they have no control over what happens to them.

Having said that, with all respect for his accomplishments, we are very concerned about his "stimulus" package that is couched in softer terms...recovery, reinvestment, rather than what it really is...redistribution. Make work, as in the days of Roosevelt, will not in the long run work. But we don't know the answer, either, so I guess we'll just go along for the ride. How sad to feel so powerless, knowing that the path ahead is frought with dangers and the very real possibility exists that we will not come off of it stronger.

I confess to being somewhat confused about the excitement that this election has had on the elecotorate. Obama is half white, why call him black? Why not identify him as what he is...biracial? He was not raised in poverty (as some teachers in CMS have taught their students). He was raised white by his white grandparents, sent to a prestigious private school, and attended colleges that added to his resume. I haven't heard that he had any scholarships, so I guess that his grandparents paid for his Ivy League education. He, in no way, sufffered the ignominities that accompany the experiences of many black people. So, really, he is white in terms of experience. What is it that makes everyone think he is the "Great Black Hope"?

So, here's to you, Barak...may you be successful. May you exceed all the expectations that your supporters have for you, and may you not disappoint those of us that don't really believe in you yet.

This weekend we went to Chapel Hill to see UNC play Miami in an ACC matchup...only we never got there. It was our 40th anniversary and our boys got tickets for us (they were coming also). However, life happens while you're making other plans. Adam had to got to an environmental conference, Jon's youngest got sick, and so did Jim. We did go to CH, but left Saturday night without going to the game. The up side was that we (I) spent quality time with Gracie and Avey. Gracie didn't want me to leave. "I hove (love) you." I "hove" her, too, and can't wait to get back. When I figure out how to put pics on this thing, I'll add some.

We may have some falling weather tonight and I'll take some pics then. I suppose I'll be forced to add them to this blog. Enjoy the inauguration if you're so inclined. I'm going to look at the swearing in and the President's speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment