Wednesday, November 10, 2010

When Did He Get to Be Forty? and The Munchkin Weekend



Today, November 10...I put that in there in case I don't get this posted today...our oldest child is forty.  I'm not sure when this happened, I mean this growing up thing.  I believe that it was only yesterday that I looked into his squinty, red face for the first time.  And what happened?  I was assaulted with the greatest emotion that a woman can have...a passionate, unrelenting, and unending love for my child.  I think that one is never prepared for that feeling...no matter how many children she has.

I cannot tell you how proud I am of him, and how I admire him for his perseverance in hard times, for his extraordinary work ethic, his attentiveness to his family and to us.  I salute him for all that he is and for all that he will be.  Jon, in case you are reading this...I love you more than you can know.











The other good thing is that we got to spend a weekend with our Charlotte grandchildren while their parents went to New York for a wedding.  It was SO wonderful!!!  Katie, 10; Lauren, 7; and Jon, 6 were so good and they were a joy to be around.  They are very pleasant children and they play well together most of the time.  We only had one small incident.  Jim took Jon to the gun shop, and the little thing hasn't stopped talking about it yet.  He's a man's boy.  Above are a couple of pictures that we took while we were there.

I have spent the last two days cooking and shredding beef and chicken to take to Louisburg this weekend when we go to make Brunswick Stew.  Jim's niece and her husband do it every year and we volunteered to join in the fun this year.  I can already tell that this is not going to be one of my favorite activities!  It takes forever to cook 9 pounds of beef and four chickens, and then shred them in preparation for the stew.  But...the stew is wonderful and I can't wait to bring home my 25 quarts!  I'll chronicle this activity this weekend and will share with you at the next post.

Oh, one more thing.  I've just finished a wonderful book...The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak.  It is a book for young adult readers, but I decided that I qualified.  Read it!!

Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment