Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Texans Visit; Snow Update

My cousin, Chuck, and his wife, Jaxine, came to visit God's Country.  Chuck was born either in Charlotte or Jacksonville, FL (I think).  He is the son of my mother's younger brother, David and the oldest of three boys.  At some point the family moved to Baltimore where (I think) Mike was born. The family moved to Texas when Chuck was about 11, and Bill was born in Dallas.  Thus, Chuck is really a Texan after all, he wears cowboy boots), having resided there for most of his life.  He lives in Corpus Christi and works for an oil refinery there.  Bill lives in Arlington and works for the federal government.  Mike died at an early age.

We used to see them yearly while my grandparents were still living as the family vacation always included a visit east.  After my grandparents died, we saw less of them as we all got older and more involved in our own lives.  In addition, David died the same year that Grandma did, so the urgency to visit was less pronounced.  Mama and Daddy traveled west on several occasions, but I never went.

Charlie, Jaxine, Mama, Chuck
Chuck and Jaxine came to help us celebrate our first Thanksgiving in our new house in November of 2009.  We had such a good time, and have looked forward to a return visit since then.  They came for a long weekend, and my brother, Charlie, brought my mother up so we had a mini-reunion.  I laughed so hard at Charlie and Chuck telling stories of their exploits around the Texas countryside.  Charlie allowed as to how "I spent a month there one week" in the retelling of a trip to Bandera (where Chuck's family had a weekend place).

So far, they have been here in the winter.  Next visit has to be in warmer weather.  At least we had no snow!!

Biggest snow this year


And speaking of snow...this has been a very, very mild winter...warm and mostly snow-free.  We've had 6 or 7 "dustings", and one snow that was maybe an inch and a half.  After all the yelping I've done for the last two winters, you'd think I'd appreciate it (and I do), but I do confess to missing a good snow.  Well, my motto is to be grateful in all things, and as I write, it is beautiful day with bright sunshine, and a temperature headed towards 60 degrees.  I'm going to sit out in the sun later and try to help my recovery from some obnoxious illness.




Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment