Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Beverly Woods Hillbillys Move



I was going to put more pictures of our obnoxious move on this page, but my technological genius has temporarily deserted me, so you'll just have to guess what the rest of our place looks like.

We have spent many hours cleaning out everything we own, making the decisions about discarding them or not; giving up half of what we have to Goodwill or to other worthy causes/people; reacting in disbelief about how much "junk" we have; alternately crying and laughing as we remember events long forgotten; and just generally getting damn sick and tired of all this work. The more we do the more we realize what else we have left. I wonder what some people see in moving every few years or so?

The painters are here this week at the Charlotte house. We must somehow get this sucker ready to put on the market. I've moved stuff around, cleaned the dust up some so it won't stick to the paint, taken down blinds, curtains, and anything else that will move. I've hauled trash to the side of the road, and piled it in the dumpster. (Yes, we had to get a dumpster to remove the detritus of 30 years!) I would put a picture of it on this blog, but ...well, I've already told you that.

And to top all this off, I don't even know for sure when we will be able to move to the mountains. Most people are more organized than we are, but everything just takes so long! We still don't have the toilets or sinks in; the electrician isn't finished; the tile man isn't finished; the hardwood floors aren't down, much less the carpet; and the railings are not on the porches. Oh, and I don't have a kitchen. Most of these things have to be done before we can get a CO (certificate of occupancy). Geez!!! The builder assures me that these things will go quickly, but since we've been doing this for the last five years...forgive my skepticism.

Nevertheless, we will put the Charlotte house on the market, hoping that we will be different from everybody else who is trying to sell in this market. I don't really hold out much hope, but at least I'll have a place to stay when I come back to see my babies, check on things, etc. (Might as well see the glass as half full.) We're going to leave a bedroom, limited kitchen supplies, and some things needed for minimal comfort.

Today, I have a headache from the paint, paint on my shirt where my boobs have brushed the wet walls (very attractive), and I'm tired of these guys being in my house. They are very nice, and they will be here for another week, so I should get used to it.

Next time, I'm going to tell you about my student teachers. I've been supervising them this semester and have very hight hopes for the three of them. I'm going to try to remember to take a picture of them so I can post it on this blog. They are all math/science (wonder why I got them) majors, and while I really don't know much about their content, I can help them learn to teach. One of them is older (almost 50) and the other two are 21 and 24 years old. Would it surprise you to know that the star is the oldest one? :):)


No comments:

Post a Comment