Monday, December 21, 2009

Snow, Ice, and the Prisoner of Bobcat Ridge



It seemed like a pretty romantic notion...a little soft white stuff that made the environment look like a Christmas card.  True, there were a couple of problems...nobody to be romantic with, placement on a high ridge (increasing the chance of not so nice stuff), and Christmas.  So, on Friday morning the snow previously forcast began in earnest.  It started as ice...laying down a layer of slippery solid that has not yet melted.  So, yours truly is up here by herself.  The plan was for Mary (my sister) to come to the hills on Monday.  She was going to take care of the animals while we went to Austin for Christmas.  I have heard that if you want to make God laugh, just make some plans.  I can attest to the veracity of this statement.

It was, indeed,  pretty.  However, the prettiness has worn off.  The first couple of days were fine, but after that I entered a state that I can only compare to that of a hostage.  Fortunately, the phone, tv, electricity worked so I didn't have to "rough" it.  I do have alternative heat and cooking capabilities, so that was a plus...I think it was the only one.

One of the charming characteristics of this place is its location...high on a ridge with limited accessibility.  I am now reassessing the charm.  The ice and the elevation have conspired to keep me captive.  Although the temperature has risen, the damn ice is still on the trees.  I think it got up to 35 today.  There is a pretty solid sheet of ice under the snow (though it seems to have ameloriated somewhat), and I can't get down the mountain and nobody else can get up.

Which brings me to Christmas.  There will be no trip to Austin.  I have cried all day.  I hope JR can get up tomorrow, but if he can't then there is another storm coming on Thursday.  Mary is going to try to come, but there is the same issue with her.  Hopefully, I won't have to spend Christmas alone with the animals and their hair.  I'm pretty tired of them underfoot all the time.

However, I am well, have plenty to eat (though it really isn't what I like), am warm, have plenty of books and have been able to watch really interesting things on tv.  I hope to be able to get off this mountain tomorrow.  If not, I will be grateful for the gifts in my life and will consider that the alternatives could be worse.  Perhaps I could start a mini-monastery!

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, hope your Hannukah was good.  Love to all.



No comments:

Post a Comment