Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Great Weather Conspiracy

It seems that the weather is in a determined conspiracy to keep me from any plans that I may have.  In addition to being snowed in for 5 whole days ALONE, (an event chronicled in a previous post), the weather has kept me from final completion of my house, from the beach, and may keep me from getting back from Charlotte on Friday.


After the big Christmas snow, we experienced very cold temperatures, as did much of the rest of the country.  It didn't get above freezing for two weeks, but when it did and the dirt road that leads to our driveway began to thaw and refreeze, some odd phenomenon occurred.  I do not understand the physics of it, but a HUGE mud hole opened up in the road and nothing could get through it.  The best I can describe it is as a big mud swamp.  Now, what did that mean for me?  Well...I had planned to go to the beach with my bridge buddies for a whole week, and had made my plans so that things that had to be done before I could go would be done.  The wrought iron guy was coming to put up a doggie run, so Chet could be left alone for a few days.  The granite people were coming to measure for the granite, the tractor guy was going to deliver the tractor, and the plumber was coming to hook up a sink.  But none of these things could happen because there was a hole in the road.  Consequently, no beach trip for me because there was no place for the dog; no granite measurement, thus extending the time for my kitchen to get done; no sink hook-up, meaning that I still had to cart dishes down to the doggie bath to wash them.  The tractor guy did come after the road got sort of fixed (it could recur, this hole), and the granite people came last Thursday and are going to install the countertops this Thursday; but there was no trip to the beach, just like there was no trip to Austin in December.

Ah, well, we had another storm this past Friday...about 9 inches of snow with an inch of ice on top of that, but the temperature was warmer and we were able to get down the mountain on Sunday.  Did you think you would ever say that 40 degrees was warm?  Well, it is, and it means that snow melts!  Weather forecast for today was to be freezing rain, but we dodged that bullet and are only having regular rain.  Still, Friday is forecast to have a wintry mix.  I'll be in Charlotte.  Could it be possible that I'll be snowed out?  Just hang on for the next installment.  If it ever gets to be spring I'll be a happy camper...but spring comes slowly to the ridge.  I guess I'll just have to wait it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment