Thursday, March 11, 2010

Austin City Limits and Mud, Lovely Mud!


The view of Austin from Adam's and Shanna's deck.


At last report I was contemplating descending a mile long driveway in 10 inches of snow. I finally decided to just get in the car and go.  I left on Wednesday afternoon while the snow was soft and went to Asheville to spend the night before heading to Austin on Thursday morning.  The next morning was bitterly cold in Asheville with the wind chill approaching the single digits.  I had not intended taking my heavy jacket, but since I had to park in the long term parking row that was furthest from the terminal, I was forced to do so.  That, of course, meant that I had to figure out a place for it in my carry-on bag.  It didn't fit well, but at least I had a coat...just what was needed in Austin's high 60's and low 70"s.

The trip was fine, if a bit long (I had a 4 hour layover in Atlanta, which stretched to 4 1/2 when the plane was late).  Jim joined us all on Thursday evening and a great time was had by all.  Adam and Shanna have a nice house that is plenty large for the girls and their playthings.  We spent an afternoon in downtown Austin, a very nice and livable urban area.  It rained for a couple of days, and we amused ourselves with the children.  Oh, how wonderful!!!  Gracie never shuts up, Avey is learning to talk, and I have watched enough "Dora the Explorer" to last a lifetime.  I think this is the longest sustained time I have spent with the girls and I loved every second of it.


Avery (left) and Gracie (right) in a playful mood.

Right before Adam and I left to go to the airport, I called Curt (our builder) to find out the condition of the driveway.  No snow, but muddy.  I can do mud!  When I got to the drive, I was very pleased to note that there was NO SNOW on the drive.  Oh, mud, lovely mud!  Getting up was no problem.  Right now, it is foggy and a bit rainy with more of that forecast, but NO SNOW for the forseeable future.  God is smiling on me!

Soon as I finish this, I'm heading to Charlotte for a couple of days.  Got some clean-up to do before I put that house back on the market and am going to the doctor tomorrow with Jim's elderly cousin.  Flat Stanley, from Arlington, TX, is visiting us for a few days.  I hope he doesn't get snowed in.  Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment