Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mamas and Sisters


I had a wonderful two days with Mama this week. I don't get to see her as often as I'd like, so this was a real treat. She will be 86 years old next moth. She still lives alone, and is in reasonably good health. My brother, Charlie, and my sister, Judy get the credit for looking after her so well. While I was there, we went to see Judy's new house. It is a really cute log home with a wrap around porch. Judy cooked lunch (delicious), we sat on the porch in the warm spring sunshine, and took a walk to examine an old family cemetery that is down the road a ways. All of us like cemeteries, and this one was very interesting. The youngest grave we saw dated from 1965, and the whole plot is in great disrepair. We saw some graves marked with inscribed stones, but many graves were marked only with stones stuck in the ground. Many young babies were buried there, and most of the current "residents" were not really old.

Only 14 months separate my birth and Judy's, so we were very close as children. We got away from that closeness as were were young women rearing young families, but as we have aged and as concerns about Mama have enabled us to reconnect in a most wonderful way. Isn't family great?

I'm going to try to put a picutre on this site, but I'm having some difficulty with the blogger site, so who knows. Well, I got it on, but it's not where I want it. Beggars can't be chooers, I don't guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment